Friday, January 21, 2011

I'mPossible

Yesterday afternoon, I sat in a seminar led by Matt Foley.  Okay, not really, but he could have been.  He started talking about the Plog Continuum, which refers to a study that defines personality types as it pertains to tourism and travel.  Faux Matt drew a Bell Curve.  Some were "dependables."  The largest group were labeled "Centrics."  Another small group was labeled "venturers."  At another point, Faux Matt said we should never stereotype and then said "All Japanese people travel in groups." 

That's when he lost me.  He wasn't amusing.  He wasn't interesting.  Worse, he was horrifically inaccurate as he tried to talk about how cultures differ.  I began to daydream about places I want to go, and places I want to send clients. 

For example, I want to visit Brazil's Pantanal.  This "is one of the last virgin areas on the face of the earth."  This is not an easy place for tourists as there is not a lot of infrastructure (hotels).  This vast array of plains and wetlands and wildlife calls to me, sings to me.  It seems that when I am in wild places, untouched places, my heart fills with joy and I feel whole. 

I may not be the most adept person in the wilderness - far from it.  My desk job has made me soft and overweight.  My desk job has sort of hidden me from who I am.  I used to participate in long distance Bicycle events.  Now I send people on luxury vacations.

Don't misunderstand.  I love sending people on trips.  I love it when they come home with dreams fulfilled.  But I have dreams as well.  I dream of going on a study tour with Heifer International.  Most of all, I dream that through the gift of travel, we can create a kinder world.

What is your dream of travel?  I really want to know.

2 comments:

  1. Wherever I travel I imagine what it would be like to live there. It's part of my fantasy when I go somewhere!

    I'm adding your blog to my blog list - I have a travel section where it fits quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mauigirl! It's great to see you on my new blog! I like that a lot, imagining what it would be like to live in a destination. I do that too, when I'm anywhere.

    ReplyDelete